Midwife-ette - almost a midwife!

Midwife in training. Or student midwife, if you will. Although I prefer midwife in training, as student midwife conjurs up the beer-guzzling, tequila-snorting, casual-sex-having lifestyle I should be leading, but am just too damn busy for.

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Grey hessian, anyone?

Today was my first day shadowing my community midwife. She turned up, all mad hair and cackly laugh and immediately pretend-shrieked at a huge spot pretending to be My Third Eye, smack bang in the middle of my forehead. I fell for her immediately. We trundled off in her ancient Ford and started our rounds.

I should stop here and reveal a secret: I'm not mad keen on babies. That may sound like heresy of the most heinous and evil kind, but really, being a midwife is about supporting the mother and her family and helping them achieve the most positive birth experience possible. Babies are the equivalent of Sean Connery in Robin Hood here: a cameo role, right at the end, that makes the whole thing just that bit better (but without the take-me-now sexiness). I mean, I like babies - I'm just not obsessed with them. And boy, they fucking hate me. Kids love me, as I am more than prepared to get into a serious conversation about Batman or whether there are fish under the sofa (and I don't use a stupid high pitched voice when I talk to them). But babies - they scream as soon as I come within a five mile radius. If I attempt to touch them, they try to throw themselves off the changing mat. They skip ten years of development and spontaneously start dialling ChildLine if I do any stupid cooing thing.

Until today. I don't know what it is about that chafey ex-Siberian prison camp inmate grey hessian sack the bods at How-Can-We-Make-Our-Student-Midwives-Look-Their-Ugliest University decided we have to wear, but it worked wonders. I held babies. They didn't cry. They didn't screw their faces up into walnuts. Two went to sleep. One farted loud and long and then did a grin (a farty grin, not a real grin). It was great. I felt warm and funny and...shit!

I think I just started loving babies.




In other news: I saw a strangers vagina today. Just like mine. Not as odd a feeling as I expected.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant. Absolutely Bloody Brilliant. Love the humour. I WILL be back to see how you progress!!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Good luck with the blog, and the training.

Very funny!

9:01 AM  
Blogger 5straatjes said...

keep it up, this is funny!

6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very funny! I want to hear more dammit!

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog and very funny. Interesting too as I don't know any midwifes. Keep it up :-)

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home